Dr Elham Aldouri is a senior consultant psychiatrist with over 30 years experience in adult psychiatry in both the NHS and the private sector since 1991. She was trained at distinguished institutions and hospitals in the UK including the world famous Institute of Psychiatry and the Maudsley Hospital. She has been on the GMC specialist register since it was established in 1996. Her first consultant post was in general adult and community psychiatry for the South Essex Partnership University NHS foundation Trust from 1991 until 1999. In the year 2000, she moved to work as a senior consultant psychiatrist for the Hertfordshire Partnership University NHS Foundation Trust and was actively involved in the establishment of new services and models of service delivery. She remained there until September 2015 when she left the NHS to focus on her private and medicolegal work. During her extensive career in the NHS, she led the adult psychiatric services in South Essex and Hertfordshire including the inpatient units and the crisis assessment and home treatment team, the CMHT and the assertive outreach teams. She had practicing privileges and visiting consultant status at both the Chelmsford and the North London Priory Hospitals.
Dr Aldouri has a wealth of experience in all aspects of adult psychiatry. She has a special interest and expertise in mood disorders including bipolar illness and unipolar depression, treatment resistant schizophrenia, post traumatic stress disorder, postnatal disorders, OCD and anxiety disorders. She is also an experienced expert witness providing high quality medico legal reports for the courts and solicitors on both civil and criminal cases.
Dr Aldouri has held key management and educational positions during her career including being clinical director for adult psychiatric services and Royal College tutor. She has been an examiner for the Royal college of psychiatry MRCPsych clinical exam since 1999 and the GMC PLAB test. In 2012 she was awarded the Fellowship of the Royal College of psychiatrists as a sign of distinction and in recognition of her dedication and significant contribution to the development and advancement of psychiatric services in the UK.
Since 2015 she has acted as a specialist advisor in mental health to the Care Quality Commission, department of health (CQC) and has participated in several inspections of mental health trusts across the country. In 2021, she joined Addcounsel/ Orchestrate Health as a senior consultant in adult psychiatry. Added to that Dr Aldouri has practicing privileges and visiting consultant status at the prestigious Nightingale Psychiatric Hospital in London.
Dr Aldouri has a wide experience in all aspects of adult psychiatry with a special interest and expertise in the diagnosis and management of mood disorders, schizophrenia, PTSD, postnatal disorders, OCD, anxiety disorders and the psychiatric complications of physical illness including chronic pain disorder. She follows a holistic and recovery focused approach in her assessment and treatment of patients and offers individually tailored treatment plan including the latest evidence based pharmacological and psychological interventions. She works in close partnership with patients actively involving them in decisions made about their care.
Dr Elham Aldouri has a special interest and expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of mood disorders including unipolar depression and bipolar affective disorder, schizophrenia, anxiety disorders, PTSD, postnatal disorders, and psychiatric complications of physical illness. She is also interested in the medico legal aspect of psychiatry and has extensive experience as an expert witness, providing high quality medico legal reports to the courts and solicitors on civil and criminal cases.
- DPM (Diploma in Psychological Medicine) University of London
- DipPsych (Diploma in Psychiatry) The Institute of Psychiatry
- MRCPsych (Membership of The Royal College of Psychiatry)
- FRCPsych (Fellowship of The Royal College of Psychiatrists)
- The General Medical Council, GMC no 3147898
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Psychiatrists
- Membership of the Medical Protection Society, UK
- Section 12(2) approved specialist.
- Specialist advisor in mental health to CQC.
- Visiting consultant at the London Nightingale Hospital
Research and Publications
- Do schizophrenic patients who managed to get to university have a non developmental form of illness- Elham Aldouri, James McCabe, Tom Fahy and Robbin Murray. Published in the journal of psychological medicine March 2002.
- Creating efficiencies in the acute care pathway, the Rapid Assessment and Discharge Approach, Drs Alexis Bowers and Elham Aldouri, published in the mental health review journal, volume 16.No.2.2011
- The implementation of a computerised self report scale for assessing change during inpatient treatment, Drs E Aldouri and D Ellis.
- Dr Aldouri has chaired and participated in numerous national and international conferences and seminars over the years on different topics in psychiatry and she regularly attends international educational meetings including the CINP, the APA, the ECNP and the association of European psychiatrists and the world psychiatric congress.